Thursday, September 23, 2010

Why do Americans Eat So Much Junk Food?

There are alot of reasons Americans eat junk food. One reason is its cheaper to eat unhealthy than it is to eat healthy. If I need a quick snack, I will go through a drive-thru. They have alot of healthy choices now, wheat buns, salads, and fruit to name a few. But when I get to the menu I see cheeseburger $.99, fries $.99, drink $.99 or $2.99 for the combo, then I look over to the healthy menu and see salad $.5.99 and salad with anything remotely interesting on it for $7.99 and I still have to buy a drink! In the interest of saving money, the combo is more appealing and let's face it, a cheeseburger sounds more appetizing anyways and it doesn't take much more than a few dollars in savings to persuade that choice. Then once I get to the window, they say, would you like to add two apple pies for a dollar? Why, yes, I would! And to go along with price, at the grocery store a whole box of nutty buttys or fudge rounds is $1.19. That's for about 8 of them, but it costs around $8 to get a bag of apples and oranges. Another reason is healthy food doesn't appeal to everyone, some people were never raised on it, so they just don't have a taste for it. Take me, for instance, my mother never introduced a fruit or a vegetable into my diet as a kid. The first experience I had with either was on my lunch tray at school and by 5 years old a kid has pretty much established what they like and what they don't. Aside from taste and price, there is also convenience. In most snack machines there are candy bars, bags of chips, and snack foods. Right next to that snack machine is a soda machine, how convenient! America is a society of instant gratification and indulgence, so the thought that most people would go out of their way to pay more for a salad or find a deli instead of a snack machine is almost absurd.

No comments:

Post a Comment